Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Tortise SVN Optimization and Tweaks

TortiseSVN settings are not the best by default. To get to the settings, right click on a folder and: TortiseSVN / Settings

General:
If you have not started using Tortise, I would recommend checking the box that says "Use '_svn" instead of ".svn" directories. DO NOT CHECK THIS IF YOU ALREADY HAVE FOLDERS USING SVN.
http://lisazhou.wordpress.com/2008/03/09/can-not-open-visual-studio-net-2003-project-once-added-to-svn-problem-resolved/
If it causes problems in VS 2003, it may cause problems with other applications as well.

Icon Overlays:
I noticed that there was a process in Task Manager called "TSVNCache.exe" which is taking up 60k of memory and running at 1-2% every other second causing I/O on the hard drive. My laptop has been running slow, so I was searching to increase speed. I found out that by default, TortiseSVN is set to Overlay all of C:\ and any other Fixed drives.

1. Check Fixed Drives, but exclude them in "Excluded paths:"
C:\*
D:\*

2. Include the paths to the root folders which are using Subversion:
D:\MyApps\*

3. Open up Task Manager and right-click on the TSVNCache.exe process. Choose "Set Priority / Low".

It's amazing how my hard drive has stopped thrashing!

No comments:

Check This Out!

More Links to Good Information